quote

"One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter." James Earl Jones

25 July 2011

What Causes Stuttering?

Stuttering affects over 3 million people in the United States. Though this number seems hefty, let’s put it into perspective.
30% of Americans still read the newspaper.
20% of Americans smoke cigarettes.
25% of Americans eat fast food every day.
1% of Americans stutter.
With that comparison, the lack of analysis and knowledge about stuttering isn’t shocking; this, along with the disorder’s intricacy, keeps the cause of stuttering evasive and vague. Also, it's possible that what causes stuttering differs from what makes it continue or get worse (though that's a new entry entirely). The exploration for this week, however, is the cause of stuttering.
Though its origin can't be pinpointed, we know that stuttering occurs when a combination of factors come together. Most researchers agree on four possible factors: genetics, child development, family dynamics, and neurophysiology. 
Genetics is the elephant that won’t leave the stuttering room. Though 60% of stutterers have family members who also stutter (myself included) it’s yet to be directly associated with the disorder. New information, however, indicates genetics as a factor. Researchers have discovered the first genes linked to stuttering: a complex set of three mutated genes, found inside 1 of every 11 stutterers. Though the study’s significance remains uncertain, this breakthrough is certainly leading scientists into a positive direction.


Child development and family dynamics are two parallel roots in the stuttering tree. It’s common sense to assume that children with other speech problems (or developmental delays) are potential stutterers. Also, children raised in fast-paced, or stressful households, are more likely to stutter. These possible factors usually make parents horrified. When I first began taking speech therapy, my mom (who is not only extremely supportive, but also well researched on my disorder) turned to me and said, “Your therapist better not blame me.” Though we laughed at the absurd possibility, I know that for my mom, it’s a sincere concern. But my parents, like other compassionate parents of stutterers, are not responsible for their child’s disorder. Parents: if you’re apprehensive, then you’re blameless. Clearly, it means you care.
The last stuttering factor comes from neurophysiology, which is the study of the nervous system. Scientists believe neurophysiology helps prove that stutterers process speech in an unusual way. The University of Toronto recently conducted a study about stuttering. They gave Fluents and stutterers something to read silently, and measured the brain activity of both.  Their results surprised me, though not because of any innovative insight. The observations scientists are making have been described previously in my blog.
For instance, Toronto’s researchers found that when stutterers read, they activate a region of the brain that controls anticipatory reactions to complex tasks. This activation implies that stutterers silently rehearse words before speaking. Another discovery showed that stutterers have increased brain activity, especially in the right hemisphere. Researchers believe this proves stutterers process speech by scanning and scrutinizing their words.
This study's results greatly comforted me. Stutterers are more critical of their speech than anyone, so I know that some part of every stutterer wonders, “Am I to blame?” I’ve wondered this question often, arguing both sides. The answer, however, is no. I’ll save this complexity’s explanation for next week, and instead, conclude by answering a new complexity.
I’d like to remedy some misinterpretations, as well as clarify my intentions for this blog. I created it to help others who stutter. I’ve continued it because it helps Fluents understand stuttering. And I’ll continue to write it, persistently so, because helping others helps me. This blog was not created out of self-pity, and does not seek sympathy. I know there are much worse circumstances that I could encounter in life, and don’t believe that stuttering triumphs inflictions, maladies, or disease. What I do believe is this: stutterers must be understood, supported, and encouraged.
Without it, three million people will always feel alone.  
-Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment